Twins

Twins

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Catching Up


I just wrote an entire blog entry and it somehow got deleted! Arg, let me try again.

March is an interesting month in Boston. Today it is about 40 degrees, Friday was 70. When the weather is like that, Bostonians take advantage. People leave work early, outside seating areas are full with people having a drink, joggers are out in full force and the smell of grilling is everywhere. Steph and I decided to take advantage of the beautiful day with a long walk along Storrow Dr to the Back Bay. We set off late morning with full diaper bags, sneakers and embarassingly, matching Lulu Lemon outfits, ready to walk. We were walking near Bunker Hill Comm College talking about Thursday night's 30 Rock episode (which, for Bravo reality tv watchers, it had hilarious references) when sudenly I heard her yell "Erin! Run!" It look me a second to see the large dark black smoke mass rising right in front of us on the Prison Point Bridge. Cars were racing in reverse and people were running down the hill from the T stop. I turned around and ran with Steph and the strollers into the nearby 99 Restuarant. I thought it was an accident with a car fire, Steph thought it was a terrorist attack (tangent: Steph thinks everything is a terrorist attack. If I were a terrorist, I wouldn't attack the PPB but then again, I'm not a terrorist). It was actually a diesel spill on the train tracks under the bridge and luckily no one was hurt. The point of this story is that it was at this moment when I felt my first motherly panic. I probably could have picked up a car if I had to. All I could think about was getting my little babies as far from that mess as I could.

After we calmed down, we walked in the other direction to the North End where we enjoyed a nice lunch at Joe's (first time bringing the babies somewhere in public without Matt and first time we used a changing table!) then we walked a litte more and met up with our friend Brooke and her son, Cameron. We went back to Brooke's fabulous waterfront apt and had a glass of champagne. Random maybe but not if you know Brooke. All and all, it was an excellent end to what started off as a tramatic day. It also got me so excited for the next few months. I love my babies and love taking care of them but this winter has been so hard being stuck inside most of the time.

The weekend was lovely. Grandpa Curtin and Cynthia came to visit us for the first time since the babies were born and we all had a great time. It was great to see them and even better to have two extra sets of hands!

Maggie and I made the four mile loop on Saturday morning! She was dragging ass, I guess she is in worse shape than I am but we did it. We took today off :)

No comments:

Post a Comment