Twins

Twins

Monday, August 1, 2011

Back From Vacation

Back to work today. (And yes, I do consider my 'job' of taking care of the twins work. Much harder than any job I've had.) Matt, Connor, Caroline, Maggie and I got home from a lovely week spent in Falmouth. Aside from the two days it was cloudy - my parents were there for one of them, our friends the Purtell's for the other - it was a great week. Not too hot, not too humid.

That being said, I was certainly a wake up call. I think more for Matt than for me. You see, I have very low expectation about doing anything/everything with the twins. If we can get in some decent naps, avoid any meltdowns and limit the vomit, I consider the day a total success. I think Matt had slightly more grandious ideas that we would be able to sit at the beach all day with them and have nice relaxing mornings to sleep in a little bit and enjoy our coffee. God bless him for that. The truth is, it was a mix bag in that department. They did take some good naps which allowed us some time to alternate jogs and sit in the front yard and read. We did take them to the beach and both days we were able to stay for over an hour and a half before they got too fussy. The slept well at night so we could relax with a glass of wine and a plate full of shrimp the size of my head. But we all came down with a cold so there were a few days when Connor cried for hours straight and I had to just walk around the block over and over and over with a crying child. He didn't want to play he just wanted to be held and even then he cried. Caroline's spit up seemed to have been particularly bad, naturally. They both hated taking baths when they normally love it. Was it the cold? Was it a strange place? Was it bug bites? Are my kids the only people in the world who do not like Cape Cod? We'll never know but I think we are all glad to be home. And we are all ready for another vacation.

So I did read a book while I was on vacation (first book in months!) and I highly recommend it. It's called Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. It's one of the best books I have read in a long, long time. It's funny, interesting and inspirational. Even if you are not a runner, you will enjoy this read.

No comments:

Post a Comment